Thursday, June 7, 2007

ACT FULL

This week I have been attending ACTFL (american council for the teaching of foreign languages) training to become certified to conduct OPIs (oral proficiency interviews). The week-long training is only the start of the process; certification takes nearly a year after the week of training finishes.

It's been an valuable experience for many reasons:
  • I've connected with a few friends from the Arabic department that are doing certification for their department
  • I've met with language teachers from across the United States including New England, the Midwest, Great Lakes, and those who are internationals
  • I've made connections between this training and my courses this semester such as evaluation and qualitative research
  • I'm getting to know four of my coworkers better as we participate in training together
It's been a tight fit to participate in this training and keep up with my classes; thankfully, I have been working ahead on my assignments and I should be able to keep up.

No comments: