Monday, May 14, 2007

Tight Fit

As a faculty member, I work on a 10-month contract. This means that, like a school teacher, I get two months off in the summer (or spring) from teaching. Most people would use this time to travel, relax, or just slack off. I, of course, am not doing any of those sensible things. Instead, I seemed to have managed to pack my time off with so many professional development opportunities that it will make my regular work feel like a vacation.

Load 1: Schoolwork
Since I was recently admitted to a PhD program, I decided to load up on the credits this spring term. The rationale was that the more credits I took now, the fewer credits I will need to take later on. In fact, by the end of this summer, it looks like I will have finished all the course work for my PhD. Also, even though I have tuition benefits through the university, I am normally limited to only sic credits a semester; however, because I am off during spring term, the benefits office agreed to pay for as many credit hours as I was willing to take. I called their bluff, and now I am taking double the normal credits that full-time student takes. It requires some time management, and efficient use of skim reading skills.

Load 2: Writing Seminar
Months ago I applied for a university week-long writing workshop. I hoped it would help me in my position as the Center's writing coordinator. My supervisor and dean nominated me for the opportunity, but since I never heard anything official back from the University Writing Office, I figured I never made the cut. Turns out, my official nomination form got lost in the "mail." I got a call from University Writing this morning while I was busy in the office doing homework. "We just had someone pull out at the last minute - are you still interested? And can you be here in 15 minutes?" Sure, it's going to be a little crazy this week balancing all day seminar participation with my full course schedule, but I'll make it work. Good thing two of my classes are evening courses. And the research grant can be a huge source of help for what we are trying to accomplish at the Center. This university keeps giving to me, and I am happy to keep giving back.

Load 3: Assessment Training
I also volunteered to become certified for the Center in oral proficiency assessment. It helps our center to have faculty members who are officially certified to conduct these sorts of assessments. Although the training will come at a difficult time (a week right in the middle of my classes and a family trip), it will work out. We'll change the family trip to a less crowded week and, as for classes, well, that's what the writing seminar week is for - practice for me to figure out how to balance a week of day-long meetings with full-time coursework. It will all work out. Besides, there's only five weeks left to the term. And then I head back to work, and the real vacation will begin.

How do people do this if they have children, busy church callings, or an supportive spouse? All the more reason to graduate before we have children. And all the more reason to stay teaching Primary. And... well, I married Kimberly, so I'm good for life.

No comments: