Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Research Proposal Draft 1

I finished a draft of my dissertation research proposal yesterday and took it by the department to show it to potential committee members. I was well received and everyone agreed to look it over with the promise that I would check back with them later in the week. And that started today.

I met with the potential chair of the committee, whose first comment was, “Do you remember what advice I give to anyone who attempts to do a validity study for a dissertation?”

Of course I knew. The answer is, “Don’t do it.”

“It’s not that I think that validity studies are a bad idea; they are very important and should be done,” he said. “Just not as dissertations.”

“Why exactly is that?” I asked.

“They are complicated and intensive. It’s hard to get it done.” Which I knew. I recognize it. In fact, as I explained to him, I have already done the lit review and collected the data of for a study that might work in place of this validity one. It would be an easy route. But I’ve already done it.

The integrated skills study needs to be done. It is complicated, but it’s real. I’d rather do something that is needed than something that it easy. So, yes, in other words, I am crazy and stupid.

In our conversation, this professor and I discussed my proposal and how I can limit/focus my efforts while still maintaining the multi-faceted approach of a good validation study.

The next step is to flesh out specific research questions, a solid literature review, and a clear methods section (including all proposed analyses). If I can get that done by January, I think that I will be in a good position to still do this complicated study while aiming for a realistic graduation timeline.

No comments: